Signing up with Twitter
How to create a Twitter account on the web
- Go to http://twitter.com and find the sign up box, or go directly to https://twitter.com/signup.
- You will be guided through our sign up experience and prompted to enter information such as your name and email address.
- If you choose to sign up with an email address, we will require you to verify your email address by sending you an email with instructions.
- If you choose to sign up with a phone number, we will require you to verify by sending you an SMS text message with a code. You may also request a voice call to verify your phone number. Enter the verification code in the box provided. Learn more about having a phone number associated with your account.
- Once you sign up for an account, you can select a username (usernames are unique identifiers on Twitter). We'll tell you if the username you want is available.
- Learn how to customize settings for your new account.
Twitter on your mobile device
Tips for picking a username
- Your username is the name your followers use when sending replies, mentions, and Direct Messages.
- It will also form the URL of your Twitter profile page. We'll provide a few available suggestions when you sign up, but feel free to choose your own.
- Note: You can change your username in your account settings at any time, as long as the new username is not already in use.
- Usernames must be fewer than 15 characters in length and cannot contain "admin" or "Twitter", in order to avoid brand confusion.
Important information about signing up with email address
- An email address can only be associated with one Twitter account at a time.
- The email address you use on your Twitter account is not publicly visible to others on Twitter.
First steps after you've created your account
- Find and follow news sources, friends, more on Twitter. After signing up, follow a handful of accounts to create a customized stream of information on your home timeline. Following means you'll get that user's Tweets on your Twitter home timeline. You can unfollow anyone at any time.
- Read our Getting started with Twitter guide.
- Learn about using Twitter.
If you are signing up for an account using an older version of Internet Explorer (IE9 or earlier), you may be redirected to mobile.twitter.com to complete the sign-up. Learn more about using twitter.com on supported browsers.