Signing up with Twitter
Join the public conversation on Twitter
A Twitter account is your passport to what’s happening in the world and what people are talking about right now. By signing up for an account, you’re among the first to know about breaking news and what’s popular––from the funny to the uplifting to the surprising. If a topic is worth talking about, you’ll find it on Twitter.
Some things to note:
- We’ll guide you through our sign up experience –– prompting you to enter information like your name and email address.
- If you sign up with an email address, it won’t be publicly visible, but we’ll have you verify it through a confirmation email we’ll send you. And an email address can only be associated with one Twitter account at a time.
- If you sign up with a phone number, we’ll have you verify it through an SMS text message with a code. (You can also request a voice call to verify your phone number.)
Tips for picking a username
- Your username, also known as a "handle", is the name your followers use when sending replies, mentions, and Direct Messages.
- It will also form the URL of your Twitter profile page. We'll provide a few available suggestions when you sign up, but feel free to choose your own. You can change your username in your account settings at any time, as long as the new username is not already taken.
- Usernames must be fewer than 15 characters in length and cannot contain "admin" or "Twitter", in order to avoid brand confusion.
How to sign up for a Twitter account
Follow our sign up instructions for your Twitter for Android app.
I have a Twitter account now! What’s next?
Follow our official account, @TwitterSupport. You’ll be the first to hear about product news, how-tos, and announcements.
Follow some Topics. It’s a great way to create a customized Twitter experience for yourself.
Customize settings for your new account.
Ready for more? We’ve got everything you need to know about using Twitter.