What does Verification mean?
The blue Verified badge on Twitter lets people know that an account of public interest is authentic.
Who can be Verified on Twitter?
To be Verified, your account must be notable and active. The six types of notable accounts we currently Verify are:
Companies, brands and non-profit organizations
News organizations and journalists
Sports and esports
Activists, organizers, and other influential individuals
Can I apply for Verification?
You can apply for Verification. Please read the criteria to understand if your account qualifies.
On web, navigate to Settings and privacy > Your account > Account information. Once you enter your password, go to Request Verification. On Android and iOS, tap on Settings and Privacy > Account > Verification request.
How do I know if I am Verified?
Look for the blue Verified badge on your Twitter profile. All Verified accounts have the badge next to their display name.
How do I know if someone else is Verified?
Verified accounts on Twitter will have a blue check next to their display name throughout the app.
Can a Verified badge be automatically removed from an account?
Yes, as part of our policy, Verified badges may be automatically removed from inactive and incomplete accounts. A complete Twitter account is defined as one with all of the following elements:
- either a verified email address or phone number
- a profile image
- a display name
Read our blog post for more on our Verification program.
Can I request to remove my Verified badge?
It’s not currently possible to request that Twitter remove your Verified badge.
Can I request to remove another account’s Verified badge?
It’s not currently possible to request that Twitter remove an account’s Verified badge.
Why might Twitter remove the Verified badge from an account?
In accordance with the Twitter Terms of Service, Twitter may remove the Verified status of an account at any time without notice.
Sometimes, changes made to an account by the owner may result in loss of Verified status. User-made changes include, but are not limited to:
- If you change your username (@handle)
- If your account becomes inactive or incomplete
- If you are no longer in the position you initially were Verified for – such as an elected government official who leaves office – and you do not otherwise meet our criteria for Verification
- If changes to your account are misleading or substantially alter the persona present on your account
- If changes to your account result in failure to meet the eligibility requirements for Verification
- If changes to your account cause you to fall under any of the categories in the "Ineligible Accounts" section of the Verification policy
We may also remove the blue badge from accounts that are found to be in severe or repeated violation of the Twitter Rules. Any violation of the Twitter Terms of Service or Twitter Rules, manipulation of Twitter processes, or circumvention of enforcement actions may result in loss of the badge or in certain instances, suspension. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Impersonation or Intentionally misleading people on Twitter by changing your display name, bio, banner image, and/or profile image
- Severe violations that result in immediate account suspension
- Repeat policy violations in Tweets, including but not limited to:
Removal of the badge based on repeated violations will be assessed on a case-by-case basis and is not automatic.
Twitter reserves the right to assess the qualifications of any Verified account under the currently published version of the Verification policy.
Please note, we may suspend accounts that use imagery of, or similar to, the Verification badge in a manner that may mislead the public about the account’s Verification status.
Twitter does not sell the blue Verification badge. A Twitter employee will never request financial compensation in exchange for a badge or as part of the application process. Twitter does not authorize any external agents or individuals to sell Verification on the platform. We encourage people to directly apply through the Verification application process available in the Twitter app. Individuals offering to buy or sell Verification are subject to loss of Verified status and permanent suspension from the platform.