Verified account FAQs
The blue verified badge on Twitter lets people know that an account of public interest is authentic.
Recommended security precautions
Verified accounts may become targets for hacking or phishing campaigns. The following precautions are recommended for all users, but in particular users with verified accounts:
- Turn on login verification so a second security check is required in order to log in.
- If your account was recently verified, you will be auto-enrolled to require personal information (e.g. phone number and email address) to reset your password. For added security, we recommend you keep this featured enabled.
- Be cautious of allowing third-party apps access to your account. Review your connections frequently, and revoke access to any unfamiliar apps.
- Make sure the email address associated with your account is secure.
Verified Periscope accounts
If a Periscope account is linked to a verified Twitter account, the Periscope account will automatically be verified.
To link a verified Twitter account to a Periscope account:
- Open the Periscope mobile app.
- Navigate to your Profile.
- Tap Logout.
- Then tap Log In with Twitter and select the verified account.
Twitter reserves the right to remove verification at any time without notice.
Reasons for removal may reflect behaviors on and off Twitter that include:
- Intentionally misleading people on Twitter by changing one's display name or bio.
- Promoting hate and/or violence against, or directly attacking or threatening other people on the basis of race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, religious affiliation, age, disability, or disease. Supporting organizations or individuals that promote the above.
- Inciting or engaging in harassment of others.
- Violence and dangerous behavior
- Directly or indirectly threatening or encouraging any form of physical violence against an individual or any group of people, including threatening or promoting terrorism
- Violent, gruesome, shocking, or disturbing imagery
- Self-harm, suicide
- Engaging in activity on Twitter that violates the Twitter Rules.
In accordance with the Twitter Terms of Service, Twitter may remove the verified badge and verified status of a Twitter account at any time. A verified account may also lose its verified status if changes to the profile settings modify the account’s original purpose.
Previously verified accounts may not be eligible to have badges restored.