How to use Twitter via SMS
How to add your phone to an existing account via the web
If you already have a Twitter account and want to receive SMS text message updates or start posting Tweets via SMS, learn about how to add your phone to your account so you can get started.
Important: If your phone number is attached to other accounts, only the account most recently linked to this phone number can perform SMS commands and receive SMS notifications for things like Direct Messages, new followers, Retweets, etc. Any other accounts you have associated with your phone number will not be able to edit Text notifications settings.
How to change your Tweet notification language settings
- Twitter will do its best to set up your SMS Tweet notifications using the appropriate language settings. You can change your language settings at any time as long as the language is listed below:
- Arabic (ar), Danish (da), German (de), Spanish (es), Farsi (fa), Finnish (fi), Filipino (fil), French (fr), Hebrew (he), Indonesian (id), Italian (it), Korean (ko), Malay (msa), Dutch (nl), Norwegian (no), Portuguese (pt), Polish (pl), Russian (ru), Swedish (sv), Turkish (tr), Urdu (ur), and Chinese (zh-cn).
- In order to change the language settings for your Tweet notifications just send the command, SET LANG [language], to your Twitter short code. For example, If you would like to change your language to Korean you would text: SET LANG KOREAN.
Pro Tip: You can also use the SET LANG command with your language's two or three digit code. For example, SET LANG AR, will update your language settings to Arabic. Also, you can text SET LANG on its own and Twitter will text you the entire list of supported languages.
How to start using your SMS-created account on the web
When you join Twitter from your phone, we collect all of your updates on the web. When you're ready to activate your web account, all you have to do is add an email address and a password to complete your profile and log in.
- Go to https://twitter.com/login.
- Click the link that says Activate your account, next to Already using Twitter via text message?
- Enter your phone number when prompted.
- Twitter will send a verification code to your phone. When you get that text message, enter the code.
- You'll then be asked to create an account by entering your email address, a password, and a name for your account. Your username will already be entered, since you created this when you signed up via SMS.
- Click Create my account, and you're all done! Twitter will walk you through finding some friends you may know on Twitter, then will direct you to your home page. From there, consider customizing your profile page.
Note: Did you create an extra mobile account by accident? Find out what you can do if your email address, phone number, or username is already in use.
How to post a Tweet via SMS
- First, make sure you've linked your phone to your Twitter account.
- Locate your Twitter short code. If you don't see your country on the list, we may not support your location or mobile carrier yet. We're working to support more every day.
- Once your phone is added, simply send a text message containing your Tweet to your short code.
- That's all you need to do! It will post as a Tweet to your Twitter profile.
- To check that your message posted to your Twitter profile, log in on the web and click on your profile. You should see your Tweet posted there.
- Use these designated Twitter SMS commands to perform even more actions from your Twitter account.
Important: Message and data rates may apply.