About email addresses
Your email account is directly related to your Twitter account. You should use a secure and private email address to associate with your Twitter account. If you forget your Twitter password, instructions for resetting it can be emailed to your email address upon request.
If you do not have a secure email account, you do not have a secure Twitter account.
Email security checklist
- Use a strong, unique password and keep it safe.
- When you set up your account, be sure to choose a strong password (at least 10 characters that include upper and lower case characters, numbers, and symbols).
- Do not share your password with anyone. No matter how strong your password is, if someone else knows it, it’s no longer secure.
- Do not use the same password on multiple sites or for multiple accounts on the same site. One compromise can lead to many others.
- Do not use the same password for your email and Twitter account.
- Use a password management system that will generate and store strong passwords for you. Both 1password and Lastpass are good options.
For more information, you can visit the following links:
- Gmail: Choosing a Smart Password
- Twitter Safety: Keeping Your Account Secure
- Connect Safely: Tips for Strong, Secure Passwords
- Del’s Blog
My account has been compromised!
If you suspect your account has been compromised, you can find out what to do on our compromised accounts help page.