Help with setting up an account via SMS
Below are solutions to common issues that users have when setting up their Twitter SMS account:
I texted START but there is no response from Twitter
Texting START to Twitter should provide instructions on how to add your device to your account. If you don't receive a message from us, there may be a few reasons:
- Make sure that your carrier is supported and that you are texting START to the right number.
- START is an instruction, e.g. a command. Do not text START along with your username, signature or any other characters. For example: START laura or START, luv keerthi or START :) or START ! or Re:| START. These won't be accepted!
- If your phone has already been added to or is associated with another account, you will not receive a message from us and START will simply be posted as a Tweet on your other account. You can check to see if your phone is already associated with a Twitter account.
Twitter is not accepting my password
If you receive a wrong password message, no matter how many times you enter the password, here are a few points to keep in mind:
- Passwords are case sensitive, this means 'a' and 'A' are different.
- Also be careful, phones normally capitalize the first letter of a word. This may cause your password to be incorrect.
- Make sure your phone does not have a signature or something like Re:| associated with the password.
- You will be given three attempts to enter the correct password. If you are unsuccessful, wait for a few minutes, then send START again and instructions will be sent to you.
- If you have forgotten your password, you can always request a password reset.
Twitter is not accepting my username
Are you seeing the message "Sorry this username does not exist!"? This might be due to one of the following reasons:
- You are entering a username that does not exist on Twitter. If that is the case, and you have not linked your phone with another Twitter account, text START again.
- You will receive a message similar to this: "Welcome to Twitter! Reply with SIGNUP to begin. Already on Twitter? Reply with your USERNAME instead."
- Now, reply with SIGNUP and read the tips below:
- If you already have a Twitter account that you want to link your phone to, make sure you have spelled the username correctly, otherwise your phone might get tied up with a different Twitter account.
- The system will also not recognize the username if it is associated with a deleted account.
- When you reply with a username, do not use quotes, symbols and/or smileys along with it ('Luke' or @luke or luke :) are incorrect.)
- If you reply to the Twitter message, the username may sometimes reach us like Re:keerthi, please remove the Re: from the message before sending.
- If you are confident that you are sending us only the required details and are still not getting a response from us, text STOP and then START again. This should resolve the issue.