The username I want is taken
If you try to select a username (also known as a handle) and see that it has already been claimed, you will need to select a different one. Remember the following:
- You can list your real name in your profile to provide more information to your followers.
- Adding underscores before or after your desired username will help you claim a unique username on X.
Example: if you would like the username @lindsay but it has been claimed, consider selecting a name like @lindsay_ or @_lindsay.
I see an error message when I try to select my username, but I don’t think it’s taken
Here are the possible reasons why you would be unable to claim a username that seems available:
- Usernames containing the words X or Admin cannot be claimed. No account names can contain X or Admin unless they are official X accounts.
- Your username cannot be longer than 15 characters. Your name can be longer (50 characters) or shorter than 4 characters, but usernames are kept shorter for the sake of ease.
- A username can only contain alphanumeric characters (letters A-Z, numbers 0-9) with the exception of underscores, as noted above. Check to make sure your desired username doesn't contain any symbols, dashes, or spaces.
- The username may be claimed by a suspended or deactivated account. Suspended and deactivated usernames are not immediately available for use, so you’ll need to select a different username.
If you try view a suspended or deactivated profile by navigating to their profile, you’ll see a message indicating suspension or deactivation.
Can I get an inactive username?
Unfortunately, we cannot release inactive usernames at this time. Please read our inactive account policy for more detailed information